The New Apprenticeship Arrangements
Under the new Apprenticeship Reforms, Trailblazer Apprenticeship Standards are being developed with plans for 600-800 Apprenticeships becoming available in the future. Apprenticeships will more readily meet the needs of employers and those completing an Apprenticeship; they will be more flexible, more effective and give the employer more control.
Key features of the new Apprenticeships are:
Training and Learning
- In-programme training and learning will develop the Apprentice’s knowledge, skills and behaviours which are set out in the Apprenticeship Standard.
- The Apprenticeship programme is for a minimum of one year.
- The programme will have milestones to mark progression and will be assessed according to the Apprenticeship Standard.
- For some Apprenticeship Standards there are no mandatory requirements for qualifications.
- Apprenticeships will require learners to develop Maths and English skills.
Gateway to End Point Assessment
- Gateway refers to the point towards the end of the Apprenticeship programme where the employer and training provider ‘sign off’ the Apprentice as being ready for End Point Assessment and having achieved the level of knowledge, skills and behaviours for the Apprenticeship.
End Point Assessment
- Until now, Apprenticeships have used continuous assessment leading to a qualification. This is no longer the case with the Trailblazer Apprenticeships and is a major change to the new arrangement.
- The organisation and assessor carrying out the End Point Assessment will have to be independent of the training provider and the Apprentice’s employer.
- The requirements of the End Point Assessment are set out in the Apprenticeship Assessment Plan.
- The apprentice is given a grade once the End Point Assessment is completed.
- Certification of Apprentices will continue to be awarded by the Federation for Industry Skills and Standards (FISSS).
- The organisation undertaking the End Point Assessment will apply to the FISSS at the appropriate point for the Apprentice certification.